Yesterday was another big day. We got our MRI results back and also went to the oral-deaf dinner, which was pretty cool. The latter deserves its own post so I’ll hold off on that for the moment and get to the test results.
I called our ENT’s office on Tuesday, the day after the MRI, just to let them know that we’d finished it and would love to know the results as soon as they roll in. They recommended that we call back on Thursday, which was the same timeline the hospital gave us.
Thursday morning rolled around. I called at about 10am, and the receptionist I spoke to told me that the results were in, but the doctor didn’t have a chance to look at it yet. Argh! She made another note on our account saying that we had called again and said that the doctor would almost certainly be able to get back to us today.
At 1:30 or so, I got the call. I didn’t recognize the number, so I immediately picked it up, and I’m pretty sure my heart rate doubled in a span of three seconds. I was speaking to a nurse and not the doctor, so I got the short version, which is… Alex is completely eligible for cochlear implants. No issues with his anatomy, no catches, nothing weird going on except for some fluid around his inner ear, which the nurse was quick to say was likely just from a cold, which Alex has. It was, maybe, a thirty second conversation.
So, there it is. Alex is cleared, and he is going to hear. We can stop saying “if Alex is eligible” every time I mention CIs. We don’t have to do any more research on brain-stem implants or worry that we’re getting ourselves too psyched up at watching what kids with CIs can’t NOT do, etc. I’m still not sure if I’m in shock or not, but I know for sure that I’m greatly relieved. The chances of him not being eligible were always slim, but the stakes were really high.
So with that huge, massive, gigantic breath of relief, we’re going to have a surgery coming up in June. I think our next steps are to have another appointment with the ENT (if they don’t call me in the next week, I’ll be calling them) to talk about the procedure and I also want to make sure that health insurance is lined up, pre-approved, etc. Our health insurance was really good about approving his extended genetic testing as well as his MRI, so the track record is good so far. This, however, is a 150k cost. Hopefully they’ll play the game the same way and Alex will be hearing us in July.
I feel like we can start enjoying life just a little bit more again.